Skip to main content

Happy Friday!




It rained yesterday!  The first significant rainfall we have had in a couple of months, 3 inches.  (Cue the 'happy dance')  My very favorite farmer is smack dab in the middle of harvest and, although it stops them from being in the field, the rain has multiple benefits; it gives him a break to make needed repairs, it will improve the yield of both beans and corn, and it will lessen the risk of fires.  My VFF had to stop harvest last Saturday to bring in his combine and water it down.  A mechanical problem caused sparks and the bean dust and stems were smoldering...very dangerous.  In the past two weeks there have been at least one field fire and our neighbor's combine went up in flames while he was at the house for lunch.  I'll give a better explanation of fire hazards in my next post.  

For some reason, Sophie is tied to me at the hip!  She is often a very "needy" doodle...she wants love and LOTS of it especially if she is in the house.  However, if she is outside she loves to roam around the farm.  She has a fenced in back yard, but being outside of her fence is her very favorite.  She adores being able to sniff under the pine trees and around the farm buildings.  EAU de PEW is her favorite; what self respecting doodle would turn down the chance to roll in  something stinky?  As a result, she isn't given much independence outside her fence.  This morning she checked out the pumpkins.  My VFF decided he wanted to plant pumpkins this year.  We ended up with 47 mounds containing 7 different varieties.  Yep.  It was a big patch...I was okay with it because it meant a bit less mowing!  We picked them a couple of weeks ago and have shared them with family and friends.  I have a tote full of the mini pumpkins set aside for my oldest son.  He is planning to use them for an art project in his classroom.  The top of the tote was filled with rain water so Sophie was able to enjoy a nice long drink.  Water sitting on top of a tote or in a puddle on the ground must be worlds better than the water in her bowl! 

Sophie and I wish you the very best!  Happiest Friday to all!  

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Being off farming folks myself, I love all things 'farm'... but I don't envy your neighbour having his machinery flare. What a shock! Stay safe and happy harvest! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Doodle in. Let the Doodle out. Repeat. A LOT!

SNOW! Somehow Sophie Doodle knows when it has snowed.  Her momma is forever being summoned to the back door to let her out.  Sophie plows the snow with her snout.  She runs willy-nilly in her fenced in back yard.  She is not happy when confined to the mudroom while she dries out!  Such is the life of a Bernedoodle when it has snowed in central Illinois. Just the right amount of snow, (Sorry.  I just had to let Sophie back in the house!) enough to cover the ground but not enough to create a problem driving. These are pictures of a very shaggy Sophie Doodle.  She picked up a variant of Kennel Cough (she was vaccinated) at the Vet's over Thanksgiving.  She missed her December grooming appointment because she was under quarantine.  She missed January's appointment because of an ice storm.  She's finally back on track and looking much better! Sophie's humans have managed to keep busy.  While her dad seems to have never ending erra...

Random Snow Day Post

Hello dear friends.  Sophie and I have been very negligent when it comes to our blog.  I have no reasonable excuse for our behavior, so I might as well get to the business at hand! We had the first big snow of the season over night.  There's probably 7" outside as I write and the forecast is calling for another 3" tonight.  I'm like a little kid.  I love snow!  So does Sophie.  She demands to go out much more often when she realizes it has snowed.  The first order of business is to roll around on the ground until she's covered in snow.  I don't have a picture of her in today's snow, but this is from earlier in December.  She is such a clown! D My favorite farmer/husband has all the equipment he needs to clean out our farm lot and driveway.  In turn he cleans out the drives of our neighbors who don't own such. He went out a bit ago which leaves me time to write!   So much has happened since I last posted. We travel...

Sophie Doodle's Joy de Vivre!

Happy Friday! After several weeks of unseasonable warm weather, Sophie Doodle and I awoke to our first truly fall like day.  Unfortunately, not one of bright sunshine and crisp temperatures but rather a dreary, overcast type of day.  Sophie perches herself on our back porch and sits facing the wind, giving her a model's shot with the the wind fluffing out the fur on her snout.  A very elegant look for a very comical doodle! My doodle has been blessed with an abundance of energy, or rather a joy de vivre  when it comes to her personality and demeanor.  Meeting someone new is not met with trepidation but with a "Oh! I'm so Very, VEry, VERy, VERY glad to meet you!  (insert a mental image of a 75 pound dog with her tail gyrating at take off speed, trying to cuddle up against you in order to really  get to know you!) This is how I am greeted every single morning upon her return from her morning constitutional!  She is definitely a lover. ...