Skip to main content

Sophie Doodle's Joy de Vivre!

Happy Friday!

After several weeks of unseasonable warm weather, Sophie Doodle and I awoke to our first truly fall like day.  Unfortunately, not one of bright sunshine and crisp temperatures but rather a dreary, overcast type of day.  Sophie perches herself on our back porch and sits facing the wind, giving her a model's shot with the the wind fluffing out the fur on her snout.  A very elegant look for a very comical doodle!

My doodle has been blessed with an abundance of energy, or rather a joy de vivre when it comes to her personality and demeanor.  Meeting someone new is not met with trepidation but with a "Oh! I'm so Very, VEry, VERy, VERY glad to meet you!  (insert a mental image of a 75 pound dog with her tail gyrating at take off speed, trying to cuddle up against you in order to really get to know you!) This is how I am greeted every single morning upon her return from her morning constitutional!  She is definitely a lover.


I have been working with her in a concerted effort to ratchet down her "dizzy dance" a notch. This dance is still in full swing if you happen to one of the various delivery persons, occasional Jehovah Witness proselytizer, or random stranger that decides to come to our door. Along with her bigger build, she has an impressive "mean kinda dog" bark which is much appreciated by her momma.  It is good for strangers to be weary of her.  You tend to be a bit safer if you're a known quantity. A friend who works for us during planting and harvest, joins us for lunch whenever he is around.  Sophie is very calm when he is around; she sees him as part of the family.  She always offers him the chance to scratch her head and rub her belly (all the while thinking-"I AM adorable and you know I've definitely got you under my spell....") but her rampant dizzy dance is noticeably absent.  The same is true when our kids and their families come to visit.  


Part of me really dislikes the notion I need to quash the sheer joy she has when greeting our guests.  How many times does this joy completely consume her human mamma, especially when mamma could us a much needed shot of joy?  Rational mamma then remembers the painful impact 75 pounds of joy can have on the knees and feet of Sophie's loving recipients! Oh well...In the meantime, I will continue to ponder this dilemma and continue to work with one very smart and headstrong doodle to control versus quash her JOY de VIVRE.


SaveSave

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Oh it is good to see a post from you... and I know exactly what you are talking about, for my own angel Jade was one such 'greeter'! She was immensely responsive to training of all sorts, but that hi-octane greeting was something I had to train folks arriving about, as much as Jade; unless folks are really dog-savvy, they tend to give off signals which inadvertantly say 'come at me'. Lifting the hands is a classic, so my first thing would be to say to folk to keep their hands down. Also, not to turn, or look the dog in the eye, but rather just to keep talking to me while standing as still as possible. This total lack of response generally meant Jade lost interest much quicker. That said, if they were not family or close friends, then I would simply have to keep hold of her collar and make her sit. Time and effort but rewarding.

    She did eventually tone down after about six years - at least with the jumping up; the dizzying spinning and whip tail continued almost her entire life! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Sophie Doodle world!

Hi there, friends...or soon to be friends!  My name is Diana and I am the human voice behind Sophie Doodle.  Sophie is a Bernedoodle, which is a cross between a Bernese Mountain dog and a standard size Poodle.  She is 3 and a half years old, she is mostly black/silver with a beautiful white Phoenix on her chest.  My doodle-dog has the most beautiful, big brown eyes.  I was hoping to get a tri-colored puppy, but they are not very common.  When you can find one, I have noticed they tend to be VERY expensive.  She weighs 75 pounds but thinks she is a lap dog, which can be a big challenge.  Sophie is very lovable and very bouncy!  I sometimes believe she is the reincarnation of Tigger...Winnie the Pooh's friend.  She literally bounces on all fours when she is excited, which is most of the time.  My Sophie is still very much a puppy, the vet says it may be that way for some time to come.  Oh. My. Goodness!  I'm so glad you stopped by!

Glitter, Glam, and forgetful Mom!

Happy Turkey Day! Sophie helped her momma decorate a Christmas tree for the local hospital's fundraiser.  Actually our offering is a wreath on a mirror with a matching tree.  Who knew the level of stress accompanying the design of such a donation!  There have been no less than four different attempts at the design.  In momma's opinion, there is nothing worse than GLITTER.  She has had glitter everywhere over the past 3 weeks! Usually, momma helps a friend with the set up and isn't in charge of actually designing the tree.  This year her friend asked for our help because she had the gear for two more trees donated by a lovely retiree who moved south and didn't want to take it all with her.  The two, along with her own tree would be quite a challenge for one person to decorate.  Momma said yes, she'd help and as such, momma was blessed with the bronze/brown decorations to design a tree on her own.  In all honesty, the tree and wreath turned out beautifully